During the COVID-19 outbreak, the Cambridge-Africa team is continuing to work from home. We have created this page to provide useful links, trusted resources and external events, relating to COVID-19 in Cambridge and Africa.
Cambridge-Africa projects/blogs connected to COVID-19
- COVID-19 and the psychological wellbeing of frontline workers in Ghana. This project is supported by a Cambridge-Africa ALBORADA Research Fund COVID-19 Emergency Award. 18 May 2020.
- SARS-CoV-2 Immune correlates of protection in Nigeria (SIP-NG). This project is supported by a Cambridge-Africa ALBORADA Research Fund COVID-19 Emergency Award. 14 May 2020.
- 54 days in: remote up-grading(s), Cameroonian politics, College life and football! 14 May 2020.
- Expansion of COVID-19 diagnostic capacity in the Democratic Republic of Congo. This project is supported by a Cambridge-Africa ALBORADA Research Fund COVID-19 Emergency Award. 11 May 2020.
- Expansion of COVID-19 Diagnostic Capacity in Madagascar. This project is supported by a Cambridge-Africa ALBORADA Research Fund COVID-19 Emergency Award. 11 May 2020.
- The effects of COVID-19 on education in Ethiopia: Informing short and medium-term policy responses. This project is supported by a Cambridge-Africa ALBORADA Research Fund COVID-19 Emergency Award. 1 May 2020
- Scaling up COVID-19 testing through open science hardware and local manufacturing in Ethiopia. This project is supported by a Cambridge-Africa ALBORADA Research Fund COVID-19 Emergency Award. 30 April 2020
- Rapid response to the COVID-19 crisis using digital fabrication in Malawi. This project is supported by a Cambridge-Africa ALBORADA Research Fund COVID-19 Emergency Award. 27 April 2020
- COVID-19 Diaries: A joint blog from Cambridge-Africa team while working from home. 22 April 2020
- First ALBORADA COVID-19 Emergency Award made: Responding to COVID-19 in Somalia: interactive mass media, 1-to-1 messaging and rapid insights from citizen feedback 15 April 2020
- Cambridge Africa ALBORADA Research Fund COVID-19 Emergency Awards launched 6th April 2020
Useful links related to Cambridge and COVID-19
- University of Cambridge COVID-19 Research
- CSaP COVID-19 podcasts
- Cambridge Infectious Diseases Interdisciplinary Research Centre COVID-19 pages
- University of Cambridge response to COVID-19 in ODA countries
- Interviews and Q&A with Dr Nick Matheson and Prof Ken Smith on COVID-19 Cambridge initiatives
Trusted external sources of information and evidence on COVID-19 in Africa
- WHO AFRO COVID-19 Resources
- Africa CDC COVID-19 Resources
- African Academy of Sciences COVID-19 updates
- The Risk Communication and Community Engagement (RCCE) working group for West and Central Africa have a new site https://coronawestafrica.info an online library of COVID-19 community engagement tools specific to West and Central Africa.
- K4D COVID-19 Health Evidence Summaries
- UNICEF COVID-19 pages
- Weekly webinars on COVID-19 from Cambridge Institute for Therapeutic Immunology and Infectious Disease. Broadcast every Thursday at 2pm BST
- COVID-19 & Humanitarian Settings Webinars. Every Wednesday 1pm BST
- Africa CDC Weekly Surveillance Webinars for COVID-19. To support epidemiologists, surveillance officers and COVID-19 outbreak response teams of Member States in their response to COVID-19. Every Wednesday 2-3pm BST, 4-5pm EAT
- Africa CDC and FHI 360 are hosting a series of biweekly webinars with global experts to discuss critical aspects of the COVID-19 response, identify best practices and discuss adaptations to optimize responses in low- and middle-income settings. 4th June - 30th June 2020, 1pm BST, 3pm EAT
- 2020 UCL-Lancet Lecture: Global Health Preparedness in the Face of Emerging Epidemics. 13 July 2020, 3-6pm BST
- Africa CDC Webinar series for COVID-19: Assessing IPC Preparedness. 3 June 2020
- Free course - COVID-19: Tackling the Novel Coronavirus. Hosted by LSHTM. 25 May 2020
- COVID-19: Magnifying Gender Inequalities. Colleagues from East Africa and Middle East share examples of programme adaption in humanitarian contexts. 20 May 2020
- Leveraging the DHIS2 platform for COVID-19 surveillance data use. 20 May 2020
- WHO/AFRO Showcasing breakthrough innovations for COVID-19 in Africa. 20 May 2020
- Leveraging SARI/ILI surveillance frame work for COVID-19 pandemic response and beyond: Sharing South Africa’s experience and lessons learnt Africa CDC, 6 May 2020
- Video Panel: Managing pandemics and mass atrocity risks in the Great Lakes region of Africa. 6 May 2020
- COVID-19 Case Management in Humanitarian and Low-income Settings: Dilemmas and Decisions. 6 May 2020
- Research for development in the era of COVID-19: Challenges & possibilities. SOAS. 30 April 2020
- Risk Communication and Community Engagement: Perceptions, Misinformation, and Concerns in African Countries in the time of COVID-19. Johns Hopkins CCP. 29 April 2020
- Virtual symposium: Global health research and vaccination, in the context of emerging pandemics towards ending preventable deaths. Focus on low income countries with speakers from WHO, Gavi, DFID, University of Liverpool and LSTM. 29 April 2020
- COVID-19 Webinar: Africa Responds Interview with Dr John Nkengasong Director of Africa CDC. 27 April 2020
- Partnerships in a time of COVID-19. THET Virtual Conference, 25 April 2020
- Synergies against COVID-19: Sharing of Expertise and Experiences between Uganda and the UK (Webinar). 23 April 2020
- Webinar: Implications of the COVID-19 Pandemic for Food Security and Resilience in Africa. This webinar is part of the Chatham House Africa Programme's online event series. 23 April 2020
- Webinar: COVID-19 Early lessons from Africa (Africa CDC & FHI 360). 23 April 2020
- Africa Dialogues on COVID-19 Response Africa CDC, AMREF and Dalberg. 9th April 2020
- Science, Policy and Pandemics Podcast. The Centre for Science and Policy, University of Cambridge. The first series is produced in partnership with Cambridge Infectious Diseases and Cambridge Immunology Network and focuses on sharing the evidence and expertise policymakers need to know as they respond to COVID-19. 9th April 2020
- COVID-19 in Africa: Research and Development Opportunities. The African Academy of Sciences. 27 March 2020
- Cambridge Africa ALBORADA Research Fund COVID-19 Emergency Awards
- UKCDR UK international development funding in relation to COVID-19
- THET Call for Applications which aims to support established Health Partnerships to protect the physical and mental health of LMIC health workers who are engaged or preparing to be engages in the frontline treatment of COVID-19
- African Academy of Sciences Funding for Covid-19 Research & Development Goals for Africa
- UKRI GCRF/Newton Fund Agile Response call to address COVID-19
Blogs from external sources
- Cambridge Global Health Partnerships COVID-19 Blog Series
- Regular blogs on COVID-19 in Kenya from Dr Tabitha Mwangi