Mon 26 Jun
10:00 - 11:30 GMT+1 (BST) A Public event at the Overseas Development Institute 203 Blackfriars Road London and streamed live online
There is a renewed focus in African countries on the private sector as a means to drive industrialisation and inclusive growth. This focus has the potential to tackle two of the most pressing problems facing the continent - jobs and poverty. Crucial to the success of this will be effective partnerships between the public and private sectors, and a focus on encouraging entrepreneurship through improving skills and financing opportunities.
in 21 hours
Wed 28 Jun
Organised by the Africa Research Institute
Denis Galava, Former Managing Editor, Nation Media Group; Visiting Research Fellow, King’s College London
Ambreena Manji, Professor of Land Law and Development, Cardiff University; former Director, British Institute in Eastern Africa
Kwame Owino, Chief Executive Officer, Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA-Kenya)
On 8th August, Kenyans will elect a president, senators, members of the National Assembly, and county government representatives. Ahead of the polls, three distinguished panellists will discuss the state of the media, land matters and the economy.
Time: 6pm to 8pm
Venue: Africa Research Institute, 55 Tufton Street, London, SW1P 3QL
Registration is essential as space is limited.
Join the conversation online at #StateofKenya
in 3 days
Thu 29 Jun
Strand Continental Hotel, 143 Strand, London WC2R 1JA, UK
TAA London & South East Branch invite you to a talk by TAA member Ralph Von Kaufmann. It is frequently reported that global agricultural production must be doubled by 2050 to feed over 9 bn. people. Much of the increase is expected to come from Africa, which will require a massive expansion of land under cultivation. Can African countries afford the accompanying loss of fresh water, biodiversity, habitats and recreational areas? Is it even technically possible? Kenya is a good case study to seek answers to this question. 80% of the country is semi-arid or arid and 80% of the growing population lives on the other 20%. where land is being rapidly lost to urbanisation. Unlike Ethiopia, Kenya has no big river for irrigation and water resources are shrinking - a scenario that portends catastrophic outcomes.
in 4 days
More Info: http://www.taa.org.uk/events.asp?menuId=19
Thu 29 Jun
Professor Akio Takahara, Professor of Contemporary Chinese Politics at the University of Tokyo’s Graduate School of Law and Politics
Japan and China have struggled to understand each other’s different perspectives on historical issues, and this has been preventing constructive diplomatic dialogue between them. Meanwhile China has been creating tensions with several of its neighbours by challenging their sovereignty over various islands. Historical issues are involved here too.
in 4 days
More Info (talks.cam.ac.uk)
Wed 12 Jul
Future Business Centre Cambridge, King’s Hedges Road, Cambridge, CB4 2HY
Sub-Saharan Africa is poised for huge growth in agriculture and agribusiness – by 2030 it is projected to be a US$1 trillion industry (compared with US$313 billion in 2010). With particular demand for UK innovations in crops, mechanisation, agroprocessing and storage, this could be the opportunity to work alongside the major companies currently operating in the market, such as Massey Ferguson, John Deere and Syngenta.
We’ll be hearing some case studies from agri-tech companies who are exporting their agri-know-how or building businesses in this exciting market, as well as hearing from the UK’s Department for International Trade about the support available from the British Government.
Find out how to gain an initial foothold, grow overseas business activities even faster or just explore if it is an opportunity for you.
in 17 days
Tue 25 Jul
Across the globe the health of individuals, their communities and the planet is in crisis as key drivers including rising inequity, food insecurity, the burden of chronic diseases and climate change continue unabated. Access to healthcare is subjected to increasing stresses from global economics because of the rising cost of healthcare and ever increasing differences between communities. These interconnected issues are threatening the health and wellbeing of people and communities globally: yet this crisis offers us the opportunity to rethink our understanding of health and healthcare delivery. This symposium is free to attend and will harness learning across the globe to consider the transformations required for a healthy sustainable world. The symposium will include sessions focussed on the transformative shift from sickness to wellness, from products to services, towards innovative and frugal technological solutions that support people and communities, and a new health operating system.
in 30 days
Wed 6 Sep
Murray Edwards College Cambridge.
in 2 months